POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scattering Media Help : Scattering Media Help Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:11:17 EDT (-0400)
  Scattering Media Help
From: Greg Gargett
Date: 14 Apr 2002 16:04:32
Message: <3cb9e0d0$1@news.povray.org>
POVWin 3.1g
Moray 3.3

I'm working on an under water/ice scene. My water texture is using type-3
scattering media with 0 extinction and density of 1.  ior is 1.5. The
camera is in the water and the look angle is slightly off-parallel with the
lightsource.  My water cube scaling is 50,50,5 (Z=up).  So, I have a thin
layer if ice over the water and I'm looking up through the ice, whch has
holes punched in it.  I'm trying to generate shafts of light in the water
media.

When I render I get nice results.  The shafts of light are just what I want.
Next I add an object in the water.  Now the problems begin.  Everything goes
haywire.  I get all sorts of nasty, white horizontal banding artifacts.

Anybody had experience with this or have any suggestions?  Why would adding
an object inside the media totally ruin the rendering?

Thanks.

Greg